News

‘This is probably my last year in football,’ says Cristiano Ronaldo

‘This is probably my last year in football,’ says Cristiano Ronaldo

FILE - Cristiano Ronaldo, left, and his partner Georgina Rodriguez watch the second practice session at the Monaco racetrack, in Monaco, May 23, 2019. (AP Photo/Luca Bruno, File) Photo: Associated Press


RIYADH (AP) — Cristiano Ronaldo says this Saudi Pro League season is likely to be the last of his professional career.
The 41-year-old superstar’s contract with Riyadh club Al-Nassr, signed in December 2022, expires next June, and he has told Vogue magazine that another is unlikely.
“This is probably my last year of football, and I want to leave a spectacular legacy,” Ronaldo said.
The Portugal forward, who has scored 976 career goals, married long-time partner, Georgina Rodriguez, earlier this month.
“I have my future all mapped out,” he said. “I have so many things to keep me busy that to tell you just one thing is hard. Because football could leave a big hole, you have to fill your time in various ways, not just one.
“And also have more fun, travel more, watch and play padel, which I really like, and continue to enjoy what I’ve earned — what we’ve earned. Because after all, it’s been 25 years with a lot of sacrifice.”
The 2026-27 SPL season is Ronaldo’s 25th as a professional. During his career, he has won five Ballon d’Or awards and five UEFA Champions League titles.
Ronaldo’s 28 league goals last season helped Al-Nassr become champion of Saudi Arabia in May to secure his first trophy since arriving in Riyadh, and a first league title for the club since 2019.
After returning from his wedding, he missed Al-Nassr’s first game of its title defense on Saturday, watching from the sidelines as it opened with a 3-0 win over Al-Fateh.
“Cristiano is here today, and he is always present with us,” Al-Nassr coach Ange Postecoglou said after the game.
Ronaldo could play against Al-Diriyah in the King’s Cup on Tuesday.
“The most important thing now is recovery, especially as we have only two days after this match,” former Tottenham Hotspur and Nottingham Forest coach Postecoglou said.
Ronaldo’s comments came days after long-time rival Lionel Messi revealed that, following his father’s death, he may soon retire.
“I don’t know how to carry on,” Messi, 39, said. “I used to just play football, and now I’m really not sure if I’ll carry on doing it for much longer.”
__
See AP’s full soccer coverage here

Recent Headlines

21 hours ago in Entertainment

Hayden Panettiere’s on-and-off boyfriend was at apartment where she died, police report says

Hayden Panettiere's on-and-off boyfriend Brian Hickersonand his brother Zach Hickerson were at the South Carolina apartment where the actor died over the weekend, according to a police report released Tuesday.

21 hours ago in Entertainment, Music

Frank Beard, Rock & Roll Hall of Fame drummer of boogie-rock trio ZZ Top, dies at 77

Frank Beard, the drummer for the Texas boogie-rock trio ZZ Top who kept the tempo for the band's biggest hits like "Sharp Dressed Man," "Legs" and "Gimme All Your Lovin,'" has died. He was 77.

1 day ago in Sports, Trending

Serena and Venus Williams return to doubles and lose close match in Cincinnati

Serena and Venus Williams played their first doubles match together since the 2022 U.S. Open and lost a thriller, 2-6, 6-1 (10-8) to Marta Kostyuk and Peyton Stearns on Monday night at the Cincinnati Open.

1 day ago in Entertainment, Music

Madonna leads 2026 MTV Video Music Awards nominations, followed by Taylor Swift

Madonna leads the 2026 MTV Video Music Award nominations, the network announced Tuesday. The pop superstar has been nominated in every decade of her musical career. She has 19 competitive MTV VMA wins and in 1986 became the first solo female artist to receive the Video Vanguard Award.

2 days ago in Entertainment, Trending

All eyez on Tupac: Long-awaited trial begins in rapper’s 1996 killing

Opening statements are set to begin Monday in the trial of a man accused of orchestrating the killing of Tupac Shakur, kicking off weeks of testimony that will revisit what happened on a Las Vegas street nearly 30 years ago.